Hi.

>> OpenWrt does not currently run on devices which have 2MB or less of
>> flash memory. This limitation will probably not be worked around since
>> those devices are most of the time micro-routers, or Wireless Access
>> Points, which are not the main OpenWrt target.
>
> This reads to me only as not primary target. Not as in "we do not
> support that".

The point is that no developer will care whether OpenWrt runs on 2MB
flash and no efforts are made to make sure that the system remains
usable with only 2MB - I think this qualifies as "unsupported", it may
work, if it does not you're on your own since it does not meet the
specifications.

Of course you're free to compile your own micro images with stuff left
out but there won't be an officially supported binary release for 2MB
flash devices.

> It simply states what was the case at the time of
> writing. Also my understanding of the community project openwrt is not
> to exlude anybody or some purpose.

Not exclude something is not the same as actively supporting or working
on it.

> [extroot support split into lots of small packages]

Imho for stuff like "blkid" the packaging overhead is higher than
enabling the corresponding busybox applet - the package status info plus
control file plus conditionals introduced elsewhere to check for the
existance of a blkid executable is probably higher than the few hundred
additional bytes of binary code introduced by enabling the busybox feature.

I do not know whether we do ordinary users a favor by introducing dozens
of microscopic packages just to allow some "power users" to get rid of a
few features they don't want.

I'd agree with an extroot-base and extroot-extra package maybe but not
splitting each possibility out of the construct.

In my opinion most users want a proven solution with a defined feature
set that implements the current best practices. If somebody wants to
implement external rootfs with the least amount of flash space he can
select the tools he need manually and grab the script of the day from
the wiki or some random blog.

I don't see why we can't just agree on some standard, say for example
ext2 rootfs with ext2 fsck and blkid support. Whoever needs something
else is free to create his own solution.

This is much like the current firewall situation, many users use the
firewall framework provided by OpenWrt and those who need more advanced
stuff just leave out the uci firewall entirely and replace it with
shorewall or custom made scripts.

~ JoW