>> As such I think it would be very useful to have a minimum build (just
>> enough to bring up interfaces and install additional packages)

> Agreed.

Oops, sorry for sending it so early.  What I meant to add was that
I haven't found a way to make such a minimum build config yet.
E.g. I have made a target/linux/brcm47xx/profiles/WL700GE.mk for my own
use (see after my sig) and it works OK to some extent, but there are
some things which I simply don't know how to do:
- I don't know how to get rid of jffs2 from this config.
- I don't know how to affect the kernel config (other than indirectly
  by adding/removing kernel module packages).
- when I "deselect" things that are selected by default (as in
  BUSYBOX_CONFIG_HTTPD in my example), there is no way to later on
  override this deselection, so it's not good for "a minimal config"
  since people can't re-add the things that the minimal config
  has removed.

        Stefan

define Profile/WL700GE
  NAME:=WL-700gE
  # I remove jffs2 because the image is too large to be able to accomodate
  # a useful jffs2 partition anyway, so the rootfs will be on the internal
  # drive (or maybe on a USB drive).
  # FIXME: the -jffs2 doesn't do anything, really.
  # I add gpioctl even tho it's not indispensible, because I use it
  # in mount_root to make it possible to prevent mouting the HD's root
  # if the `copy' button is pressed (convenient when the HD's root is
  # messed up).
  PACKAGES:=-ppp -jffs2 -ppp-mod-pppoe -kmod-ipt-nathelper -iptables -dnsmasq
-bridge -dropbear -hostapd-mini kmod-ide-aec62xx kmod-fs-ext3 e2fsprogs
kmod-gpio-dev gpioctl
endef

define Profile/WL700GE/Config
   select BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FDISK
   # This makes it impossible to enable the httpd server in busybox,
   # which is a bit drastic, but it's the best I could come up with.
   deselect BUSYBOX_CONFIG_HTTPD
   # Disk space is not an issue, so there's no reason to be stingy.
   # Though it seems like it caused extra unusable packages from being
   # built (like gdb?).
   #select ALL
endef

define Profile/WL700GE/Description
        Minimal package set optimized for booting the WL-700gE from flash
        with the bare minimum to create a new filesystem on the HDD
        so as to boot from it.
endef
$(eval $(call Profile,WL700GE))