Fra: "Alf Birger Rustad" <a...@statoil.com>
Til: "opm@opm-project.org" <opm@opm-project.org>
Emne: [OPM] Umfpack runtime dependendy is problematic
Dato: tor., okt. 10, 2013 08:40

All upscaling codes now depend on umfpack (contained in the suitesparse
package) being available at runtime. Unfortunately, suitesparse is not
installed by default on cluster nodes, so codes will fail to run by default. I
can see four possible solutions. The most convenient one being that suitesparse
is installed by default over here. Unfortunately, that may be difficult to
achieve, and will be of little value to the next user coming along with the
same issue. The second being that we maintain the suitesparse libraries out of
tree, pointing to them with LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This will probably work, so I
guess this is what we will do right now, but it adds up the dependencies we
have to maintain and sync out-of-tree. It will also be of little value to the
next user coming along with the same issue. The third option is to compile
umfpack with dependency (libamd.so on AMD systems I believe) statically. This
will probably just work without issue for all users, but somebody will need to
do the necessary cmake magic, and the static versions of the libraries will be
a build time dependency. The fourth option is to remove the dependency on
umfpack (didn’t it use to be an optional dependency?), not sure about the
implications there. There is of course the fifth option of trying to get Red
Hat et. al. to include suitesparse in a base installation, but I do not think
that is realistic.

Opinions are welcome,
Alf

this message.