On 2013-10-10 13:29, Bård Skaflestad wrote:
despite the fact that I have a "liblapack.a" file (in /usr/lib), I got
the diagnostic message below.  This is on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, CMake 2.8.0,
and GCC 4.4.3.

CMake Error at cmake/Modules/compat-2.8.7/FindLAPACK.cmake:295
   A required library with LAPACK API not found.  Please specify library
   location.

This is because the code in /usr/lib/liblapack.a requires libm, but the probe in FindLAPACK.cmake is not smart enough to add this library to the link. (If you link to the shared library, the dynamic linker adds libm from the NEEDED record in the ELF header).

So; the "Looking for cheev_" test fails not because it is missing cheev_ (in liblapack), but because it is missing sqrtf (in libm).

To add insult to injury, there doesn't seem to be any backdoor to sneak it in either; it calls FindBLAS which reset (!) BLAS_LIBRARIES even though it is already found (sic).

To make matters even worse, the static LAPACK libraries seems to be broken from upstream (for which there is a proposed fix from a certain Markus Blatt :-)), which has made a good excuse for Kitware not to fix *this* bug.

--
        Roland.