If you pass -Dumfpack_LIBRARY=/foo/UMFPACK/Lib/libumfpack.a I think it should
work as intended; otherwise it is a regular bug issue.
That will make our build script slightly more involved, but should work. It
will however not work for the next user who wants to kick the tires of OPM (in
the sense that the binaries will fail by default until the user figures out a
solution like this one).

I think Arne Morten needs it to do multi-threading (or rather, that UMFPACK is
the alternative that can co-existing with reasonable multi-threading).
Arne Morten, maybe you can chime in here. Is this a stop gap solution, or a
more permanent situation? Thanks clearing up my misunderstanding of the AMD lib
BTW, I just assumed it was related to CPU optimizations. Please consider being
more verbose too ;)
i consider anything that does not follow standardized procedures to be a stop gap solution, cause it will almost certainly break sooner or later. you "refuse" (are unable to) follow standardized procedures, and thus you will have to deal with breakage. this sounds like a decent workable hack.

arnem