Does OPM target industry prior to academia? Could you please elaborate on that?

I am not sure that question makes any sense. The question assumes a conflict,
while OPM (at least for me) is very much about bridging gaps between academia
and industry. I would rather say that OPM seeks to enable direct collaboration
between industry and academia.

 To my reality (academia) having an entirely open software/specification
ecosystem is extremely important. It's in fact the only possible way to make
our work reproducible by other researchers and interested people
[1<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproducibility>,2<http://reproducibleresearch.net/index.php/Main_Page>].

Fully agree. OPM certainly wants to address that. It saddens me if you have
another impression. Even more, it is an attempt to enable academic research at
the source code level, building on each others code (which is arguably a leap
further than simply reproducing). Ideally, I would love to see academic papers
where commits to OPM is part of the academic work, so that the next researcher
easily can build on top of the previous work also at the implementation level.

 Going back to that new dependency opm-core <- opm-parser... It's the first
time I see *-core depend on something else. As a developer I would expect the
core of anything to be self-sufficient.

Agree, actually I have already argued that we should have file IO stuff in
opm-core. I see it as a natural part of a core library. Whether that view
prevails and opm-parser is integrated in the core repo remains to be seen
though. There may be other factors and views weighing in.

  A format would help describe complex reservoirs with pure OPM code without
the need for external (proprietary) tools.

And that is where the problem is at. A proper answer to that issue is a bit
more involved than what I have time for now. I will try to provide my view on
it schematically though. I fully agree with your conclusion, we should not need
proprietary tools. However, we are not there now. If you want to address
industrially relevant problems (which I really do believe academic communities
addressing petroleum technology should do), you already are in need of a lot of
input to even get started. You need a PVT model, which is typically exported in
a format a commercial simulator can use. You need a geological model and you
cannot realistically make it without a geomodelling package (all geomodelling
packages support Eclipse formats, actually quite a few only supports Eclipse).
To address this the Norne model, a current full field reservoir model with
everything it entails, has been made available for academic use. All input are
in ASCII format, human readable and editable with your favourite text editor.
Years before that, the Gullfaks model was made available. You may argue that
this is not enough, but it is what we have been able to achieve so far. On the
output side, there are binaries, but at least libecl, a library for reading and
writing these binaries is openly available to academia. Moreover, we have been
able to provide a full visualisation solution through Resinsight that in my
opinion already out-competes any proprietary offering for its intended usage
(quite an accomplishment don't you think?). The really missing part of the
puzzle on the output side then is 2D plotting, typically of production curves.
There has been discussions, but frankly I am restrained by the 24 hour a day
limit (as many of us are), so do not expect us to have a polished solution on
that this year.

If we had tried to design and implement our own file format, we would probably
not be able to test our implementation on anything realistic for years.
Personally, I am a firm believer in having useful code early, and planning the
development so that you can start testing your implementations as you go along.

Cheers,
Alf

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended
for the addressee only. Any unauthorised use, dissemination of the information
or copying of this message is prohibited. If you are not the addressee, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this message.Thank
you