Hello Mark,

Manifest allows pulling the right image according to ARCH
(arm64/amd64). Please see the dump of ollivier/functest-core:latest
attached to this mail.
Here I would like to avoid variables in FROM (by default) mainly to
ensure a better compatibility with all toolings and to ease
maintenance.

If arm64 images are built on an arm64 PODs, the same Dockerfiles can
be shared between these archs for:
(all could refer to opnfv/functest-core:latest as parent)
  - functest-healthcheck
  - functest-smoke
  - functest-features
  - functest-components
  - ...

But it cannot work in case of cross-building as host and target host differ.
Then we must precise opnfv/functest-core:arm64-latest in this case.

Cédric

> Cédric,
>
> I am curious, how does the manifest help with avoiding FROM? Is it that we
> would use that to pull the correct base Alpine image?
>
> Regards,
> Mark
>
> Mark Beierl
> SW System Sr Principal Engineer
> Dell EMC | Office of the CTO
> mobile +1 613 314 8106
> mark.bei...@dell.com
>
> On Oct 15, 2017, at 23:55, "cedric.olliv...@orange.com"
> <cedric.olliv...@orange.com> wrote:
>
> Alex,
>
> Yes. You know I was waiting for tests from your side. As manifest works as
> expected, we can remove most of them.
>
> But I will keep the one to build/publish containers in any repo as it's very
> useful.
>
> My sentence was focused on Functest.
>
> Cédric
>
> ---- Alexandru Avadanii a écrit ----
>
> Hi,

Name:   ollivier/functest-core:latest (Type:
application/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.list.v2+json)
Digest: sha256:a11a7832a3cbd36d24111d356593e76cc393c8280f5bb4bca1dd1e9e3255be29
 * Contains 2 manifest references:
1    Mfst Type: application/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.v2+json
1       Digest:
sha256:c2ccac6ceeaac8c1e4f918df27c9026638e6dc4291c43cbe008875438814a0ff
1  Mfst Length: 741
1     Platform:
1           -      OS: linux
1           - OS Vers:
1           - OS Feat: []
1           -    Arch: amd64
1           - Variant:
1           - Feature:
1     # Layers: 2
         layer 1: digest =
sha256:88286f41530e93dffd4b964e1db22ce4939fffa4a4c665dab8591fbab03d4926
         layer 2: digest =
sha256:e4989989496e2baf22cce2351711f00fe9bc9e12ec7286fd1a59280a9caf4395

2    Mfst Type: application/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.v2+json
2       Digest:
sha256:547fcafbe8818cda606972a4079cd3364a8d930d4c57ccb90b2ff5e40266341f
2  Mfst Length: 952
2     Platform:
2           -      OS: linux
2           - OS Vers:
2           - OS Feat: []
2           -    Arch: arm64
2           - Variant:
2           - Feature:
2     # Layers: 3
         layer 1: digest =
sha256:edc6b06527c296cbb6228de7ef6d3a4c068ee33f9e476531e82af55d4a3d613b
         layer 2: digest =
sha256:58188a18e4bb81815adef0cb3a1f7d67769c9d3ab3cc7e1c0ac3e568af961e57
         layer 3: digest =
sha256:1ad2887d1caa4311ab17f85e898931bf5ce5596a918a39b36e87aee223f647f8