Hi Bin,
Here are some concerns I have, hopefully I am not the only one:
- By your slides I understand that you suggest to focus on doing work
which could be reused internally by the companies involved in OPNFV to
build their devops platform for NFV solutions. I wonder whether there
is a niche there and how the relevant internal departments of the
different companies (stakeholders in your slides) are currently doing
their NFV devops activities and whether they are happy or they are
looking for an alternative. Talking about open source communities, ODL
and Openstack are currently happy with their CI/CD solution and AFAIK,
not looking for something else (please correct me if I am wrong). Do we
have any sort of indication that this direction would be useful by
companies involved in OPNFV? Perhaps we all could talk internally to
check this and even gather some pain points with current tools and
desired features.
- I understand that the end goal of "the evolution of pharos lab" is
having a lab based on cloud services. I am a bit concerned about this
because to some extend we would lose control of our infrastructure and
will need to rely on what the providers give us (which most of the
times is abstracted) and perhaps we will lose geographical distribution
or the heterogeneity of it. Let alone having the possibility to connect
some exotic hardware to test edge use cases or IoT use cases (e.g.
having a pool of raspberries connected to our infra).
- Regarding the community growth, I think that attending developer-
oriented events will not be enough to gather new developers in OPNFV. I
am actually not sure how to address this problem which, in my opinion,
is getting acute. A big part of the people who stopped working in OPNFV
in the last months was not because they did not find OPNFV attractive
or cool but because their employers prioritized other communities (e.g.
ONAP) or some internal work over OPNFV. The best approach for me would
be to reach those employers (I guess they are the stakeholders in the
slides) and ask: what would you like to see in OPNFV in order to
increase the amount of resources you currently provide? or, what you
did not like in OPNFV which resulted in you decreasing the amount of
developers in OPNFV during the last months?. Perhaps the board could be
a good place to ask this?
It would be nice to know other poeple's opinion too! My view might be
completely wrong... :)
Regards,Manuel