Hi Bin,

When we first created OPNFV, we set out to resolve the gaps we needed for
the NFVI, which we saw as missing in the various open sourced projects. It
was focused on NFV, not upon being the best installer of OpenStack or some
other component that we said could be leveraged, but which was still deemed
as not meeting our needs. I don't feel we ever completed this task before
moving on to orchestration, because it became the next shiny thing. But
what are we orchestrating if things are not instrumented to be orchestrated
in a highly efficient manner. Recently, I met with an operator who said
that our SDN controllers were simply too slow to meet their objectives.
This statement is not intended as a slam of any of the controller projects.
It's just meant as a point of reference that there's a need to implement a
feature that is consumable for the intended recipient.

Your task and the task of the TSC is not an easy one. And I really love how
our CI/CD and DevOps folks have matured over these years. But I think this
cannot be the major mission for OPNFV. I think we are still missing that
E2E reference architecture and stack that be easily leveraged. With that
said, I do NOT propose we throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'd like
to propose a solution for attracting more developers to our community and
still develop features and components that are missing, but which resolve
the gaps identified years ago.

What we're doing is some really good stuff. But I would still like to see a
smaller group drive a tightly coupled framework that can be easily
leveraged by the consumers with a top level API, and which can figure out
how to best implement certain features/component projects within OPNFV into
this framework, and can also develop whatever new features might be
missing.

At the end of the day, I have shortened my list of projects I am
participating in. I truly believe that OPNFV is very relevant and needed,
but struggles too much trying to be like other projects out there. I'd love
for us to get back to why we formed in the first place. But whatever you
and the other TSC members decide, I'll support. We have already made
provisions in our charter for what I am asking for. But I do not wish to be
the tail wagging the dog. I see the need for these other things we're doing
too. And I certainly see the challenge that you're now wrestling with. I am
looking forward to an amazing year.

Best,

Ash