On 2023-11-17, at 14:51, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
>
> Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> draft-ietf-opsawg-pcaplinktype - Standards Track to create Registry
>
>> Presumably the registry will contain more information than is in that
>> I-D, or links to more information, as what's in the I-D is insufficient
>> to describe the formats of packets for many LINKTYPE_ values.
>
> Hi, it's not the goal of the registry to describe all the linktype values.
> It's to assign them uniquely.

Correct.

Still, almost all registries have a “reference” column, that can be used to
reference a document that contains a specification (or can be used like one in
a pinch).

>> For example, LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL just says "Linux "cooked" capture
>> encapsulation", but does not indicate what that is; the entry for it on
>> the tcpdump.org link-layer header types page at
>
>> https://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html
>
>> has a link to a description of the format.
>
> okay, so let's include that link.

That would be in the references column, I’d think.
We even can have notes explaining how the reference applies to this specific
usage.

Grüße, Carsten