On 25/5/23 02:01, Manfredi (US), Albert E wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6 <ipv6-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Fernando Gont

Given the amount of things that get connected to the Net (smart bulbs,
refrigerators, etc.) -- and that will super-likely never receive security
updates, you may have to **rely on your own network**.

For instance, I wouldn't have my smart TV "defend itself".

Agreed, "on your own network." From the viewpoint of a household, whatever
network defense has to be behind that household's router, for it to be credible, and
preferably right in each host. Yeah, some IoT devices may not be updated regularly.

So, that's why people block them at the edge.

(just the messenger)

The ISP has to worry about protecting that ISP's own network.

That's e.g. where RFC9098 comes in, with notes on why they are dropped in places other than the edge network.

Households have to be responsible for protecting their household's network.
(And connected TVs do get regular software updates, as a matter of fact.)

I guess it all depends on the TV? e.g., I for one I'm not planning to throw it out just because Sony decided to quit pushing updates (which were never automatic for my set).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks