-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 3:28 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
NOARCHIVELO

Just to add to the controversy, I often make the
argument to developers/users/managers/etc that
noarchivelog does not exist.

In my opinion, 'noarchivelog' is like waving a flag
saying "I stand an excellent chance of losing a whole
lot of data one day".

Some years ago at a place I worked, some idiot came up
with some piece of nonsense along the lines of "We
don't make any changes, we do a cold backup each
night, and we can easily reapply the flat files that
are sqlldr'd into the db each morning"... and thus
went for a noarchivelog strategy.

When it did go belly up, this "simple" option turned
into a nightmarish exercise...

Even worse, the idiot happened to be me at the time
:-)

Author: Jesse, Rich