                From:   Deshpande, Kirti
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Tuesday, March 19, 2002 8:13 AM
                To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                Subject:        RE: Should we say COLD or HOT backup OR
ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELO

                Here is en exception:
                I happen to administer a couple of data mart databases, that
are loaded once
                or twice a month. Both run in noarchive log mode. This is
how these have
                been set up when we started back in 1998. We take cold
backups after the
                data load, table/partition analyze. It takes 5 hours max on
a Sunday. No
                other changes are made to any of the data till the next data
load.
                We have yet to see a reason for these databases to be
running in archivelog
                mode. In the worst case, the recovery of the largest db
(80GB) is about 8
                hours from backups (Yes, we do DRP drills). And that type of
downtime is
                perfectly alright with the business and end users.

                - Kirti