Title: RE: RAC or Oracle Fail Safe

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the detailed reply and I really appreciate that. Certain clarifications.

1.                   With reference to what you said about using both the nodes, you meant that we can install another database (lets say for reporting purpose) or/and also 9iAS on one node and our main production database on the other

2.                   Incase of OFS, the database service fails over from one node to the other, and then it starts, but it is automatic, right?

3.                   When you talk about Resources and that they can’t be shared, you are not referring to the shared storage vault (we are using DAS – Direct Attached Storage) because that has to be at least available to both the servers. And when the database fails over from one server to the other, and it starts its services on the other server, then the obviously that other server will make use of the DAS on which reside our datafiles.

4.                   RAC costs roughly 20k$ per CPU and it doesn’t come bundled with Oracle 9i License? (For confirmation purposes)

5.                   From various mails I gather that OFS is basically a safe bet, if the hardware supporting is good. And if, God-forbid, one server goes down then the only time lapse is the time it takes to start the services on the other server.

6.                   The transactions taking place at the time when main server goes down will be lost, I mean it will give a feeling of hung database or some other error.

Thanks in advance, and waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Hussain