On Sep 7, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Andrew Hans <drib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am curious then, as to why Origami OUSA has a different opinion. They
> require us to get permission from the model designer or the estate if
> deceased in order to teach a model at their convention. Is there someone
> from that organization that cares to comment and offer their perspective on
> things?
>
> Andrew Hans

OrigamiUSA understands the concerns within the origami community regarding
copyright issues.  As a community that places high value on respect for the
work of our artists and scholars, it is important to continue to pay attention
to this important issue. OrigamiUSA has spent considerable time and discussion
forming policies regarding the use of and permission for teaching, displaying
and publishing origami models. These discussions take place both at the level
of the Board of Directors and at the committee level through our Copyright
Committee, which develops and maintains the copyright policies of OrigamiUSA.
As can be seen by the recent discussion on this list, there are many opinions
as well as many constituencies.  The best way for OrigamiUSA to have good
policies for our community is to continue to monitor and respond to changes in
the world around us.

Copyright law is murky on this topic: there are opinions from qualified lawyers
on both sides of the issue. In formulating our policy of getting permission,
OrigamiUSA strives to balance the desires of teachers who don’t want to have to
ask permission, the desires of artists who wish to be asked, what we currently
know about copyright law, and prevailing etiquette and mores in formulating the
policy. While it may not (and cannot) satisfy everyone, many artists have
expressed their appreciation for being asked; similarly, many teachers
appreciate the blanket “no need to ask me” permissions given by those who have
given that on this list.

Kind regards,
Patty Grodner
On behalf of OrigamiUSA, Communications