While it is true that all services running on UNIX and requiring a bind on
ports below 1024 must start as root, it isn't accurate to say that all of
them run as root. All of the servers that we run on our production servers
provide us with a way to switch the user id once the service has grabbed
the privileged port. We don't run any servers that accept connections from
the Internet and process requests running as root. This is going to be a
major problem for most hosting providers.