On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> While it is true that all services running on UNIX and requiring a bind on
> ports below 1024 must start as root, it isn't accurate to say that all of
> them run as root. All of the servers that we run on our production servers
> provide us with a way to switch the user id once the service has grabbed
> the privileged port. We don't run any servers that accept connections from
> the Internet and process requests running as root. This is going to be a
> major problem for most hosting providers.

I'm perfectly aware of this. The problem is not in Orion though, but in
Java. Java does not allow any way of changing user ID's, becuase user ID's
is a Unix concept that doesnt fit very well in the platform independent
metaphor.

The solution would be JNI, but I highly suspect that the Orion don't want
to implement such a hack. I think they want to stay with pure Java. Hence
my suggestion of allowing some for of plugin so that a third-party can
implement this feature. I need it too.