> Al Fogleson wrote:
> > then you start adding all the RMI calls over the network and that adds
> some load too
>
> Well, EJBs will not always be called remotely to start with. A very
> common scenario is that you write Servlets/JSPs that communicate with
> EJBs. Usually you will run your Web components and EJBs on the same
> servr and no RMI calls will be made. Of course though, if you need the
> remote access it will be used. But that is an overhead you need no
> matter what technology. Orion's RMI-transport protocol is very
> optimized.

    I agree with Karl that RMI, even on the same machine, is a significant
    overhead.  Think of CPU consumption to serialized and de-serialize
    member function arguments and return value.

    When ones' client and EJB container are both on the same machine
    and in the same process, CAN Orion bypass the RMI protocol
    here and achieve near optimum performance?

    It would be like having your cake and eating it too, to have both
    the Enterprise architecture and near optimum performance
    in this single server scenario.  :-)

        STeve