Can anyone provide a step-by-step 'hello world' procedure for setting up
data-sources.xml properly and calling the resource from within a servlet?

Alternatively, can someone review my setup and comment on what might be
wrong?

The section of my data-sources.xml looks like this:

        <data-source
                class="com.evermind.sql.DriverManagerDataSource"
                name="jdbc/d123DS"
                location="jdbc/d123DS"
                xa-location="jdbc/xa/d123XADS"
                ejb-location="jdbc/d123DS"
                connection-driver="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
                username="username"
                password="password"

url="jdbc:oracle:thin:my.oracle.host:@dev2:1521:D123DEV"
                inactivity-timeout="30"
        />

I'm attempting to create a connection within my servlet. Snippets of
the relevant code:

        public class DSTest extends HttpServlet
        {
                InitialContext ctx;
                DataSource ds;

        public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
                throws ServletException, IOException {

                res.setContentType("text/html");
                PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();

                try {
                        ctx=new InitialContext();
                        ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/d123DS");
                        con = ds.getConnection();

                }

                catch (NamingException e) { System.out.println(e); }
        }

It is catching the NamingException, telling me:

        javax.naming.NamingException: Error instantiating web-app JNDI-context: No
location specified for resource-ref d123DS

So I went and added to my application's web.xml, since this isn't under the
default orion application:

        <context-param>
         <param-name>d123DS</param-name>
         <param-value>jdbc/d123DS</param-value>
        </context-param>

        <resource-ref>
         <description>Test Data Source</description>
         <res-ref-name>d123DS</res-ref-name>
         <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
        </resource-ref>

And it still catches the same exception.

Am I missing something simple? I'll gladly write up a tutorial for this for
orionsupport.com if I can get this working.

My environment: jdk 1.3, orion 1.4.0

Any help would be wonderful.

--
David S. Kenzik