Another option is to put Apache in front of your Orion server and let it
handle SSL.  Since mod_ssl is written in native code with performance in
mind, it will generally be faster than a Java implementation.  I think the
next best alternative is to start load balancing across multiple web
servers.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/