We have successfully implemented a custom UserManager which acts as a
wrapper around an entity bean that contains user information such as
userid and password.  The UserManager works great for authentication
with our web application.  However, when we try to authenticate a
user via a stand alone application, a NamingException is thrown in
the UserManager at the point we try to lookup the "wrapped" entity
bean. The NamingException indicates "Not in an application scope -
start Orion with the -userThreads switch if using user-created
threads".  I have tried the -userThreads flag without any success.

The issue appears very similar to the post titled "Custom UserManager
JNDI problem" by James Birchfield on 01/23/01, but I have not see any
follow up.  Has anyone had success in similar configurations?  Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Kent