The problem lies in getting a connection to the database.  You can only get
a connection to the database using JNDI in the constructor of the
UserManager.  Nowhere else.  This is supposed to be fixed in 1.4.6, but I
haven't had a chance to test it.  The limitation to this is that the
connection will eventually expire with no way to reclaim it.  But it will
at least let you test applications til the fix is in.

James Birchfield

Ironmax
a better way to buy, sell and rent construction equipment
5 Corporate Center
9960 Corporate Campus Drive,
Suite 2000
Louisville, KY 40223

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                          To:     Orion-Interest
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    owner-orion-interest@orion        cc:

                    server.com                        Subject:     NamingException
using custom UserManager with stand alone applications

                    02/05/01 01:08 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Orion-Interest

We have successfully implemented a custom UserManager which acts as a
wrapper around an entity bean that contains user information such as
userid and password.  The UserManager works great for authentication
with our web application.  However, when we try to authenticate a
user via a stand alone application, a NamingException is thrown in
the UserManager at the point we try to lookup the "wrapped" entity
bean. The NamingException indicates "Not in an application scope -
start Orion with the -userThreads switch if using user-created
threads".  I have tried the -userThreads flag without any success.

The issue appears very similar to the post titled "Custom UserManager
JNDI problem" by James Birchfield on 01/23/01, but I have not see any
follow up.  Has anyone had success in similar configurations?  Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Kent