Although perfumed bubble bath beads are nice and fun to use, sometimes their
aroma can be nauseating.

In my opinion the less code the better. Less bugs, and quicker fixes.
The company I work for now uses iPlanet, and I really miss working with
Orion.  In my opinion even the beta version of Orion were more stable than
IAS6 is now.

There are several reasons IAS is so big, and I would assume the other heavy
weights for similar reasons.

IPlanet used to be Netscape Application Server which used to be Kiva
Application server before the days of J2EE, and it includes support for
Applogics (Proprietary api for writing servlet-like-things in C++).  All the
J2EE features were just tacked on, and I doubt anybody cleaned up the old
code, so there's a lot of legacy baggage.

 - Full clustering support at all levels.
 - Netscape Directory Server for LDAP backed JNDI and authentication.
 - Netscape Administration Server and Console
 - iPlanet Web Server - Based on Netscape Enterprise Server.
 - 400+ pages of documentation
 - Lots of buggy deployment and packaging tools - Something orion has in
common ;)
 - Broken ejb compilers (On Solaris)
 - A great feature which randomly throws ClassCast exceptions when using
SFSBs.
 - AbstractMethod exceptions in compiled jsps.

Although my last three points are just vents of frustration, the point I'm
trying to make is that size!=quality.  Sure iPlanet in a cluster
configuration can handle more
requests than Orion, but at $40K+ per server, its probably better to run
several cheaper servers and buy an expensive, hardware based load balancer.

I think oracle 9I AS brings a lot of database integration to the server, and
when you look at just the size of the Net8 client, 1Gig doesn't sound that
far-fetched.

Last of all, everyone is always complaining about orion's documentation.
True, Orion doesn't provide hand-holding documentation, and the existing
docs could definitely use improvement, but there is certainly enough there
to get a basic app up and running.  iPlanet comes with a 200 page
developer's guide, a 100 page administrator's guide and lots of supplements.
How much value do they add?  To a complete J2EE beginner, probably some, but
their news group contains almost as many and the same type of questions as
the orion list.  Orion is a J2EE server, so to use it, and any other J2EE
server, you need to understand J2EE.  J2EE is complex (that's why we get
paid the big bucks),  but once you get at least a basic understanding
(things like EARs, WARs, EJB-JARs and resource-refs) the only documentation
you'll need is for server specific configuration, and the orion docs pretty
much cover that.
I agree some of the advanced features (such as SSL, JMS and such) are
lacking, but even those were sufficient to get me up and running although it
took longer.

I admit I'm biased since I learned J2EE on Orion, but in my experience,
Orion is fairly easy to work with compared to IAS and Weblogic.  Maybe I
need to take a look at some of these other servers since everyone is raving
about their documentation.

Andre