Thank you all for your answers to this thread. I am
very grateful for all different inputs and you have
certainly straightened out a few issues for me.

It seems that we are only at the verge of the J2EE
technology and that the implementations of this
technology have evolved greatly during the past year.
I guess that the great interest and attendance in J2EE
will bring out extremely well performing products and
solutions in the future. (Not saying that they perform
poorly today.)

Since I have come this far in studying J2EE it seems a
bit wasted to just throw that knowledge away now. You
have convinced me to at least give it a try and set up
a small system, pack it full with data and load it
heavily with user accesses to see how it performs.

The Orion application server might be great, but this
list is absolutely the best forum I have ever
experienced. Thank you for being so supportive!

Best regards
/johan