David, nothing personal, I'm just hanging my reply off yours as it's the
latest one in this thread...

BUT some of us are very bored of this thread popping up every few
weeks. Sure, Orion hasn't released a new version in a couple of months now
(I think), and I'm as desperately eager for 1.4.8 as anyone here. Why does
this always translate to 'Orion is tanking'?

It WOULD be lovely if the Orion team were more active in their posts here,
if nothing else, people would get that warm fuzzy feeling that is
obviously so important.

So in an ideal situation, we'd all get the best of both worlds. A kick ass
product, and warm fuzzies all round (well, and a much better support
infrastructure!). But as has been said before, I'm in the group that of
those 3 things, would choose the first.

Hani

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >I really hope that Orion is released into the open-source community if they're
>going to tank as a business.
>
> I never thought of that.  I guess the real question may be: "What is
>Orion's/Ironflare's business model?"  Taking a wild guess, not based on any first
>hand knowledge/contact/experience, the 'problem' may be that orion's developer's want
>to continue programming and not become consultants, support technicians, etc...
>Which would be great to have quality developers on the project full time, but this
>seems contrary to a lot of the service models that are out there now.  A lot of
>companies now repackage open source and get paid on service/consulting.  Perhaps they
>need a quality partner or need to be bought out (maybe macromedia should have bought
>them out instead of buying allaire)...who knows...I'm not an expert in this field as
>I'm sure my views have proved.  So I may be way off base.  I'm just an avid java
>developer with a small, nimble company that likes to develop and utilize small,
>quick, and well-written software.  (did you also ever notice that orion seems to be
>at most!
 h!