Incidentally, you can also tell orion NOT to use a separate deployment
directory, in which case it'll read and write from the ear/jar file itself,
rather than maintain a separate tree.

You can do this by specifying deployment-directory="[none]" in server.xml,
or in your orion-application.xml if you want to set it per app.

More info on http://www.orionserver.com/docs/server.xml.html (the bit about
deployment-directory mentions this, albeit not too clearly...)