Hi again Robert,

Thanks again, this makes things much clearer. The wiki page I created is here:

http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/ProgrammingGuide/ViewerVSCompositeViewer

On a related note, the doxygen on the site

http://www.openscenegraph.org/documentation/OpenSceneGraphReferenceDocs/

does not seem to be up to date, as it does not show that Viewer and
CompositeViewer inherit from ViewerBase... Is it possible to update it?

> Also code that works on Viewer utilising the various View derived
> functionality can very easily be ported across to code that just sets
> up a View, making it very easy to change you mind about how you write
> put together the viewer at the application level.  One minute you
> could be using osgViewer::Viewer, the next you could decide ohh I'd
> prefer CompositeViewer and it'd only take a few minutes to recode, and
> visa-versa - the fact that so much is shared between the viewers and
> view makes it very easy to refactor things.

Yes, that's what I did yesterday just to prove that CompositeViewer was not in
fact needed in our current app. However since the code that sets up the viewer
is in a general framework that is used across multiple projects (past, present
and future) I think I'll go back to CompositeViewer and try to make some
convenience methods to try and hide the added complexity when it isn't needed.

What I might try doing though is to create methods in CompositeViewer which
mirror the View::setUpView*() methods, but for multiple views (when
appropriate). This will help us set up the simple cases more easily. Would you
accept those as a submission?

Thanks again