Hi Folks,

First off, let me say that it's good to be back on the list - it has been
awhile ;-)

I'm trying to tune a scene-graph representing a relatively-large model.  I'm
seeing what I think are abnormally long cull-traversal times.  The SG looks
as follows:

(State is constant across the entire scene)

[Group] x 1

[Switch] x 1

[MatrixTransform] x 100

[Geode] x 1

[Geometry] x 100

There are approx 10K Geometry Drawables in the overall scene.  The cull
traversal for this scene graph is approx 10ms on a 2.5GHz Core2Duo
processor.

If I change the SG to the following:

[Group] x 1

[Switch] x 1

[MatrixTransform] x 100

[Switch] x 1

   +-----------------------------+
   |                             |
[Geode] x 1                 [MatrixTransform] x 100
   |                             |
[Geometry] x 100              [Geode] x 1

                             [Geometry] x 1

and I turn on the new branch, the cull traversal jumps to 80ms.  If I
eliminate the single Geometry node below the new geode (so that the new
branch is still there, but doesn't draw anything, cull-traversal falls to
40ms.

Can anyone help explain what is going on here?  These cull-traversal times
seem long relative to the complexity of the scene and the speed of the
processor - I'm trying to hit a 60Hz frame-rate, and even 10ms for the cull
is just not going to cut it.  For better or worse, there isn't a good way to
simplify the complexity of the scene.

cheers,

sean