On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Sukender <suky0...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi all Windows users (and others too, I'm not doing discrimination ;) ),
>
> Under Linux (& co), packages can have dependencies. Under Windows, we're
> far to have such an easy system.
> Question is: how could we redistribute efficiently the OSG binaries (I mean
> when not linking statically) alongside our apps?
>
> Here are my suggestions, please share your thoughts.
> 1. Manually copy the DLLs in the app's dir. That becomes a pain if you
> select each DLL by hand, and you may have multiple copies for each app.
> 2. Say to the user (s)he must download the OSG binaires. Not very user
> firendly, IMO.
> 3. Create a nice installer that contains the OSG packages. Thus the
> installer become obese since we don't need all the DLLs...
> 4. Create a nice installer that contains partial packages. Not very "clean"
> to begin splitting packages I think.
> 5. Create a nice installer that will download packages on the web. Nice,
> but what about installing on a machine that has no connection? Should we
> provide both "online" and "offline" installers?

I'm starting a project called CMakePorts that aims to solve some of these
goals.  The goal would be to build many of the popular dependent libraries
as part of the OSG and then since they would be "make installed" they could
simply be picked up by CPack (and/or any installer someone might choose to
contribute).

http://code.google.com/p/cmakeports/wiki/CMakePortsPlan

It's obviously still in the planning phase right now though.

> And about installers... Should we copy the DLLs to the system dir? What
> about Vista and its strange policies about having access to system dirs (I
> simply stayed under XP :D )?

Assuming you want an application to be used by non-administrators and
non-power users (certainly the case with the OSG, IMHO) you're always going
to want the DLLs to at least be available alongside the .EXE files as an
option in the installer.

--
Philip Lowman