Hi Robert --

My CMake-foo is weak, so a bit of hand-holding is appreciated in finding the
info you seek.

Agreed whole-heartedly with your comment about the right way to fix the problem
I encountered -- my low comfort level with CMake led me to stumble onto the
quick and dirty workaround I described.

What I can offer is this:
* in the svg plugin, the libgdk*.so libraries appear to be successfully
referenced and linked in as seen in that plugin's link.txt where
"-L/opt/gnome/lib64" appears in the CMake-generated version of that file (i.e.
I didn't touch that one at all)
* in the problematic pdf plugin's CMakeLists.txt, I see POPPLER_LIB_DIRS
referenced like this:
LINK_DIRECTORIES(${CAIRO_LIBRARY_DIRS} ${POPPLER_LIB_DIRS})
* looking in the top-level CMakeCache.txt, I can find no such POPPLER_LIB_DIRS
definition however I do find that both POPPLER_LDFLAGS and POPPLER_LIBRARY_DIRS
contain references to /opt/gnome/lib64 (the link directory I needed for the pdf
plugin to build on my particular system) in their definitions; in particular,
this line:
POPPLER_LIBRARY_DIRS:INTERNAL=/opt/gnome/lib64

I do not know if POPPLER_LIB_DIRS should be replaced with POPPLER_LIBRARY_DIRS,
but I hope the above proves helpful.

Please guide me to dig for more information -- I'm happy to help.

Davin