Hi All,

Wow lots of a traffic,  I'll not reply to all as I'll get over my 10
public posts of day sanity quote :-)

I will reply to Art though, as he's on the front line working to do
the actual work to improve things and specific decisions need to be
made.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Art Tevs <arti_t...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> What we need is a solution for that problem. I wouldn't like to cutoff forum,
> and I think also no of the ~300 users of the forum would also like to make
> so. Yes, signal to noise ratio on forums is more then on pure ML only.
> However, as some of you has already stated out, this is more or less a social
> problem then the engineering one. However, in order to make it  better, we
> require some strict rules/filters etc for a proper etiquette.

I'm optimistic that the single to noise ratio can be improved, this is
both in general content and the friendliness of the communication
itself.  The later is what I'm particular concerned about right now.
Sure there are lots of newbies questions being asked by people who
really should have done a bit more background reading, but that life
we all come in difference shapes, sizes and preferences, as long as
they are polite and patient it's actually kinda irresistible to help
them out.

The challenge is in having systems that coax people into communicating
in friendly ways, and avoiding the pitfalls of mixed mediums.

> So, what forum moderators could do is to
> 1. filter out users, with non-appropriate real names - what do we meen by non
> appropriate names? Is only a first name already appropriate? How about users
> who would like to keep some kind of anonymization, by using only the first
> name. Are names with two letters ok, as used by our asian friends, i.e. Li,
> Xi, ... ? There was already a thread about that, but at the end there was no
> real, concrete answer to this!

There is a balance between individuals preference for short names and
psuedo names and the ability of a mass model of communication, you
simply can't have a community of several thousand and have people use
just first names.  Once you are in thread there is a reasonable chance
that single names will be sufficient, but even then it's still quite
common to see multiple Paul's to be writing in one thread.

Having both a first name signature and the full name elsewhere
displayed on the post is the best of both of worlds.  On the email
front right now the full name can typically be seen in From field, and
with a well composed text the personal will manually sign there name
with an appropriate salutation for the context.

W.r.t what names are acceptable and what's not, this is a hard one.
The bottom line is that it should possible to uniquely identify
someone, there might not use there real name, but there have to
identifiable as a particular person as it's a pretty fundamental part
of human communication.  Names also need to be readable and non
offensive not some collection of letters or a silly phrase.   One has
to be mindful of language and cultural differences too, so hard and
fast rules based on one cultures standards won't be viable.

In the end one will have to have moderators that can make a good
judgement call about how well suited a name is, and if it's not then
have a standard mechanism and documentation on what names are
appropriate so that those who get rejected will know that it's not
person and that there is a simply remedy.

> 2. Force to use some kind of template, when posting a reply or new topic.
> This is already in use and is sometimes used by the users. Template is set as
> default message, when posting something. So any user, who see this, should
> understand what is this good for.

I believe this is a good facility.  Even if someone doesn't use the
template there should at least get an idea of what basic structure is
appropriate.

Any ideal what percentage of forum users use this template?

> 3. Should user's reply always include a quote of the previous message? I do
> not really like such things, because they unnecessary pollute the threads.
> Yeah, there is even a pollution from some of the email clients there, which
> do quote the message in very strange manner. Which makes the reading very
> hard. So this is not only a problem of forum users.

Where you want to include the contents of the previous post in your
reply depends upon how what you are trying to convey/answer.  For
instance with a bulleted post like this one I'm replying to it makes
sense to use the original contents.

As long as you can delete the reply contents easily I don't see a
problem with it being there by default.  I presume the forum will have
both options anyway.

> 4. Should users be forced to have a signature, which describes him/her
> somehow or just have some appropriate name in the signature. What about users
> which are using ML only and do not have signatures? Do we also exclude them
> from the community?

We should only exclude people who are abusive of the community/members
of the community/the medium being used.

Signatures are very useful though, I almost always sign my posts, I
believe it's an important part of net etiquette, a little bit of oil
in the cogs of an otherwise very try communication medium.

> And please guys, do also think about that not only forum users are
> responsible for bad etiquette in our community. What to do with such ML
> users? I agree with and understand Robert, however, Robert, you should also
> understand, that some of the things just cannot be solved in a programmer
> way. There are people who just not able to follow very simple rules and we
> shouldn't close our community also to them, I think ;)

Agree here, bad etiquette happens from mailing list list subscribers
and forum users alike.   I do occasionally suffer bad etiquette when
irritated, stressed or overworked.

--

I believe settings good examples of communication is part of the
solution.  Pointing users to examples of what good communication and

The system solutions are probably be down to refinement of
signatures/templates.  Perhaps being able to see what others will see
of your posts would be useful as well.   I haven't used the
blog.openscenegraph.org to post anything yet, but I presume you get to
review you post being it's submitted.   Would it be helpful to provide
what forum users will see of the post as well what text mailing lists
users will see?

On the system side as well one friction point that came up recently
was the a smilely used in forum came through as a unintended sarcastic
remark when it came through in email.  See the text sent to the
mailing list would help with this.  Just nixing this smileys or
sending a rich formatted email might be the solution for this type of
mailing list/forum integration issue.

Many thanks for you efforts of help improve things Art,