David Angelo wrote:
> Since the resulting mesh will be pretty big and may not fit in the
> texture memory (I also have to share resources with a ravenous volume
> renderer), my first thought was using a continious LOD (no popping)
> approach. Does anybody have experience with such an algorithm? This
> algorithm may also be interesting for VPB.

  Most CLOD algorithms dislike holes.

  I know Robert's preference in VPB is to avoid CLOD in favor of discrete LODs
(DLOD?).
CLODs require dynamic geometries and discrete LODs require only the shoving of
big chunks
of triangles around. On-GPU CLOD might be a nice approach, but the DLOD
approach has
served very well with current graphics hardware that might bottleneck on
CPU-served CLOD
geometry.

  Whether CLOD or DLOD, You might consider filling the holes in your dataset
with
interpolated values, then using texturing to knock visible holes into the
surface.