Hi Nick,

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Trajce (Nick) Nikolov
<nikolov.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nice reading ... :) .. I agree about the DirectX part .. Let start talking
> to Robert to make OSG DirectX compatible :)

We do have the .x plugin ;-)

As a general note, my views practicability of support for Direct3D
haven't changed, it's not really possible without massively affecting
the cleaness and maintainability of the OSG code base.

As a general note for the future, Microsoft look to have missed the
boat on mobile devices, all the most widespread mobile devices
supporting 3D are OpenGL ES all the way.  The desktop market is
already rather stagnant in comparison to the growth of mobile device,
mindshare and market share are moving away from the desktop to mobile,
with this sea change Microsoft and hence DirectX will be loosing
ground.  It may take a few years but it looks likely to be me that
Direct3D won't be seen as a compelling API even on the desktop, not
just by me, but the majority of the industry.  Those stuck on Direct3D
will struggle to adapt and take advantage of the new mobile/desktop
cross over and will eventually whither on the vine and become
irrelevant.

Of course NVidia, AMD and Intel all have the ability to slow down
progress by releasing crappy OpenGL and OpenGL ES drivers...