Hi all,

We have recently bought a few good laptops (Lenovo W520) to be able to work at customers' sites, and these come equipped with Intel graphics AND an nVidia Quadro 2000M discrete card. They are supposed to use (buzzword alert) nVidia's Optimus technology to automatically switch between the two based on the app that's currently running.

This seems to work well for games I've tried (all based on DirectX). The games clearly don't use the integrated graphics, they run well on high settings (the same I use on my desktop that has a GTX470).

However, our own OSG-based apps seem to not be recognized as "needing the discrete graphics", and even adding a profile for our app's executable in nVidia Control Panel, telling it to force using the discrete graphics for that app, doesn't work. Our app crashes when loading textures, somewhere in the Intel driver.

I haven't tested other OpenGL apps. I will soon.

As I see it I have 2 options:

1. Switch to discrete graphics only in the BIOS. I've tried this and it works, but I'd either have to accept the higher battery usage when I'm not using a graphics app, or have to reboot and switch back manually depending on the situation. So it's inconvenient.

2. Write to nVidia to see if they have any hints about how to make Optimus see that our app needs the discrete graphics. Maybe there's a call we can make at the start of our main() that would be a hint to the OpenGL driver? Actually I would have thought that any time OpenGL is used at all (context created, etc.) it would switch to discrete, so this may be a bug in the driver if it's not the case.

Has anyone had any experience with this technology? I think it's a good idea, if it worked well it would really be the best of both worlds - low battery usage when no 3D apps are running, and speed when you need it. But as it stands it's a bit inconvenient.

Thanks in advance,

J-S