Hi Ryan,

The white paper on nvidia's site
http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html says these three
automatically power on the GPU:
"
DX Calls: Any 3D game engine or DirectX application will trigger these
calls
DXVA Calls: Video playback will trigger these calls (DXVA = DirectX
Video Acceleration)
CUDA Calls: CUDA applications will trigger these calls
"

Hmm, interesting. Why didn't they include OpenGL calls in the list? Seems like a glaring oversight.

The lack of working profiles and API seems pretty problematic.  One
could always run some CUDA code at startup, but it doesn't say how
shutdown is determined, and this really reeks of a kludge.

I guess the switch persists until the running application ends...

About profiles, I guess the fact they don't persist must be a bug that might have been fixed in a later driver version. It would be nice to at least be able to programmatically add profiles, so users don't have to manually create them.

J-S