robertosfield wrote:
> Hi Alexej,
> You don't need to change the render-target to re-render a tile.  I
> can't work out exactly what you mean in your scheme but it sounds a bit odd.

The problem is not the re-rendering of a single tile. The job is to re-render a
tile subset from a collection of tiles (each tile has an unique texture object
bound to it).

robertosfield wrote:

> While I do understand what you are specifically doing or how/why you
> are trying to achieve it as general notes I would say:
>
> You can have many RTT osg::Camera in the scene and these scene graph
> objects themselves are pretty small compared the texture/buffer data
> assigned to them, also it's possible to share subgraphs under Cameras
> so the scene graph specific costs are likely to be very small, so no
> need to go to lengths to try and avoid creating them.

Assuming I will do it this way.

1. Will I have to enable/disable cameras in relation with the dirty state of
the tile? (otherwise all cameras will re-render the tiles, even these, with no
changes).

2. What about the rendering context for each camera? Does it not produce extra
costs? E.g. the depth RenderBuffer (which could be shared using render-target
exchange approach) and other meta data (as I understand from
RenderStage::runCameraSetUp(..))

It may be wrong: osg is not easy to understand, especially since the most
classes do not even describe their main purpose (in doxygen).
But for me, the approach with changing the render color target looks still more
efficient, assuming I can change the color binding in a fast and light-way
manner. Because all camera parameters stay constant all the time except the
position and color-target. Otherwise it requires one frame() call per tile
re-rendering, here I don't know, how expensive that is  compared to hundreds of
possible cameras approach (but usually only few tiles needs to be re-rendered).

The main question remains: is there a light-way possibility to change the color
binding in an already existing RenderStage/FBO context ?