Hi Robert,

I have collected the debug output under http://pastebin.com/usHWJYgT.
This time, there is no failed validation. Instead, we obtain:

Linking osg::Program "" id=1 contextID=1
    Uniform "AlphaFuncValue" loc=0 size=1 type=float
    Uniform "TransparencyValue" loc=65536 size=1 type=float
    Uniform "SampleDensityValue" loc=131072 size=1 type=float
    Uniform "baseTexture" loc=196608 size=1 type=sampler3D

This seems to indicate that the error is related to the usage of the
transfer function. What can we do about this? I have already taken a
look at Property.cpp and Layer.cpp, but I did not come across anything
that seemed even remotely related to shaders...

All the best,
  Bastian