Good old OSLIST suffered something of a glitch, sending/not sending bits and
pieces. In order to make a semi-intelligible piece I have done a little editing
and hopefully no deep violence to Julie Smith’s ideas... And Julie, sorry it
took so long, but this birthday thing sort of got in the way.

Ho J

***********************

Julie said: “The more I’ve been thinking about the relationship between
self-organizing with self-correcting and self-rightening, the more complex it
all looks.  Take cancer for example, or gangs.  Are these both examples of
self-organization?  Self-organization that is destructive (not self-correcting
or self-rightening) rather than constructive?  So maybe self-organizing is not
inherently good, but is only good if done in a way that is self-rightening and
self-correcting?”

Harrison: “Julie – I rather suspect that self organization covers a much larger
territory than the more limited range of preferred outcomes we might choose.
Gangs and Cancer would be cases in point. What you call a gang, I might call
“brothers.” And were you to interview a cancer cell, I suspect it would report
that it was doing just what it was supposed to. Both gangs and cancer are very
much a part of what we call “Life,” even if that Life does not proceed exactly
as we might wish it to. And it is all self organizing, I do believe.”

Julie: “I can see how we could legitimately refer to gangs as “brothers” in the
very same way that Thich Nhat Hahn wrote about pirates in Call Me By My True
Names (http://www.quietspaces.com/poemHanh.html), but if we look around and see
that we are, indeed, careening toward mutual self-destruction, we might also
see that it is imperative that we find out what is happening, and why, and what
we might do about it.  And we should probably do that before it is too late.”

The conversation continues...

Julie – the points you raise are all critical, and we do indeed seem to be
making somewhat of a mess of things in many places, to put it mildly. All that
said, I am not sure than any of this has  directly much to do with self
organization per se, except in a very “arms length,” derivative sense. The
reason is that self organization, as I have come to experience it, is a
pre-existing condition, a prior reality, a fundamental matrix out of which all
the nasty issues you cite, in addition to all the marvelous wonderments of our
lives, do emerge. You might call this “neutral,” but I would prefer, “Life
affirming”... and that is Life in its total rich abundance, including the good,
the bad, and the ugly. All of it. Without judgment or blame.

“Life Affirming” may seem an odd thought... but if I hear the story correctly,
It all began when it began, and ever since, through primal superheated plasma
to the present moment, the force of self organization has moved towards life.
In the words of Ilya Prigogine (used in a narrower context) we... that would be
all of Life...emerged out of chaos on our way towards, “...new and higher
levels of complexity.” Life in its fullness is self organization made manifest.
That is affirmation, I believe.  Are we the end of the line? Who knows...

But of course, there are the nasty parts. Their names are legion, and known in
every age. Oh were it possible to wipe them all away, and lord knows we have
tried our damnedest. And in truth it is really easy: eliminate life. As the
fellow once said, curing cancer is no problem. Living through the cure may be
another issue.  Obviously this is a sick sort of joke, but there may be more
than a modicum of truth in it...

When speaking of the “nasty parts,” it seems to me that they come in at least
two varieties: What I might call Natural Disasters and then there are self
inflicted wounds. Sandy and Katrina are good representatives of the former, and
our multiple wars and genocides constitute the latter. Gross over
simplification for sure, and of course there are combinations where a natural
disaster becomes a catastrophe because of our blindness, stupidity, or worse.
Think the Johnstown Flood, for example, or Climate change.

>From our (human point of view) the net impact of all of the above is pretty
>much the same: suffering, destruction and death. Definitely nasty, but I think
>it worthwhile to remember that the cosmos was not created for our comfort. In
>fact we are lately arrived, minor players. Doubtless if we had been present at
>the beginning, we might have offered some useful design tweaks. But we weren’t
>there. It is also true that we could never have a nice day at the beach were
>it not for the violent storms that broke the rocks to create the sand. It is
>not my point to disparage our attempts to mitigate natural disasters, but for
>the purposes of this discussion, I think we might best concentrate on the
>other end of the spectrum: Self inflicted wounds. What can we do about all
>that?

In a curious way, it seems to me that the problem is that we may be doing too
much. Cataloguing the ills that afflict us (or more accurately that we inflict
upon ourselves) is tedious but possible. And for each problem there is
presumably a fix – which we work hard to identify, design and implement. The
fix might be a simple intervention, teaching the principles of Dialogue in
order to fix conflicted communication, for example. Or it may be a more massive
effort such as a complex moral code which if followed, is supposed to enable
lions to lay down with lambs. I think we should award ourselves “A” for
Effort... but when it comes to impact and results most would agree that there
seems to be something missing somewhere.

Actually, a deeper look at our efforts and their effect is even more troubling.
In many (maybe most) cases our “fix” becomes our problem. Take the example of
Dialogue Principles. Developed over a number of years’ careful work these
principles describe truly elegant conversation. However, in every instance I
have been witness to, implementing these principles in real conversation seems
to create precisely the problems they were designed to prevent. The natural
flow of give and take in conversation is disrupted. To my eyes/ears, the issue
is that the Principles, while abstractly appealing can never fully capture the
rhythm and cadence of natural conversation which is always unique. The
Principles are “average best practices.” Unfortunately the “average” never
shows up in life, and forcing Life to fit the average is a good way to
suffocate it. Our thoughtful “fix” has become a new problem.

On a grander scale, the multiple moral codes created by human kind produce
similar results. The intent and the effort is certainly to be applauded, but
when it comes to implementation it seems, once again, we have something of a
miss. I would never suggest that such codes, whether religious or secular in
origin, are useless – for if nothing else they have provided “best practice
scenarios” for  meaningful human life. Yet when observed in their minutia the
Life they seek to preserve is usually squashed. And it becomes worse when my
code clashes with your code, as both conflict with their code. People can and
have been killed for all of this on a regular basis. If this is a fix, I think
we need a fix for the fix... or something.

Or something... Suppose we were just to stop for a moment, take a deep breath
and see what might happen all by itself, naturally so to speak. Finding a quiet
space in which to savor this pause that might refresh will appear difficult if
only because every where we turn our clashing moral codes continue their
cacophony overlaid by the dissonant noise of our multiple interventions and
fixes...but we do have such a time/space whenever we choose to go there.

Speaking just for myself, but with agreement from many of you, I suspect – I
call it Open Space. The single gift that Good Old OST has granted me, that
shines above all others, is that awesome silence in which the full richness of
Life makes manifest. We don’t do a thing, and the less we do the deeper and
richer the silence. To be sure there are some “principles and a Law” – which
turn out to be unlike any others. They are not prescriptions for our behavior.
They are descriptions of what will happen anyway without special effort or
intent on our part. All by themselves. Yes of course, there are conversations
and movements, arguments, hugs, and celebrations – but if you just take a
moment in an out of the way corner to expectantly watch and listen, you will
find yourself immersed in the flow of Life, which is at once affirmative and
renewing.

It is tempting to see such moments as once done, never to be repeated, but in
spite of our (or certainly my) normal skepticism, the “moment” has occurred
over and over with millions of people in thousands of places – people with
every sort of religious tradition, moral code, economic background, educational
level, ethnicity, professional status, age or character – It makes no
difference at all! And it happens all by itself!

A story might help. A few years ago, Michael Pannwitz and I worked with some
250 Rabbis and Imams seeking Peace. It was a three day gathering and on the
first day, in deference to the traditional nature of the participants, the
sponsors determined that we should start in a traditional way. That meant rows
of chairs facing a dais with multiple speeches by the appropriate people, such
as The Chief Rabbi from Jerusalem  and Imams of similar rank. They had come
from all over the world. Not too long into the speech making, the crowd grew
more than a little restless, and by the end of the morning  they were standing
on the tables, screaming at each other. Not quite peaceful.

I wasn’t present for all of that, but I could hear the noise... and suddenly I
found myself faced by a most distraught sponsor. He had a single question: How
quickly could we open some space? Since it was almost lunch time, we opted for
a long one and in the middle of the afternoon, the 250, now seated in a circle
did what we’ve always done: Raise the issues of passionate concern and post
them on the wall. Surprisingly this was done in an orderly respectful fashion,
and after several hours the action stopped and the walls were filled with every
issue you could possible imagine and many you never heard of. Since the day had
 been a long one it seemed well to head for dinner with space to be opened on
the morrow. Though truth to tell, the space had already transformed and
powerful, flowing conversations were well under way.

On the morning, a few more issues were posted, and the normal ambience of Open
Space took over. Groups formed and reformed in the giant atrium of our hotel,
conversations serious and raucous, quiet and judicial blended in what I can
only describe as a symphony of sound – which paradoxically struck me as a
profound and rich silence. Words fail, but something like “pregnant silence,”
might be close to what I experienced.

As usual I did nothing. I sat in a little alcove totally enthralled by the
majesty of the moment. After a while my eyes were drawn to a most unlikely pair
in the very center of the atrium, sitting all alone. Facing each other in
simple straight backed chairs was an old Rabbi who I knew to be Rabbi
Pappenheim, the  Chief Ultra Orthodox Rabbi from Jerusalem. His partner was a
young lady, a Moslem from Jakarta. They spoke for hours and never moved, acting
as if the world had simply disappeared. Or then again, perhaps they were the
world in that moment. And it happened all by itself.

So Julie... Could this be the answer to your “cri de Coeur?”  Probably not, but
it might be a start.

“but if we look around and see that we are, indeed, careening toward mutual
self-destruction, we might also see that it is imperative that we find out what
is happening, and why, and what we might do about it.  And we should probably
do that before it is too late (Julie).”

The mess we are in is massive and complex – 8 billion people going in at least
8 billion directions. The tools at our disposal (interventions, political
systems, new programs) are simply overwhelmed by the immensity of the
challenge. Just to take one example – Group work of various sorts. Granted it
can be very effective in a limited situation, but the fact of the matter is
that we have neither the facilitators or the physical spaces to transform the
minds and behaviors of 8 billion, and counting. It just doesn’t scale and a
severe state of depression would be warranted unless...

...unless we do have a secret weapon, an ally whose aim and goal is to affirm
what we want: Life. If so we would do well to learn all we can about it, and
even more importantly, learn to cooperate even when it seems counter intuitive
or wrong to do. Might just work.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854

301-365-2093

Summer Address

189 Beaucaire Ave.

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261

Websites

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
OSLIST Go to: