Dear Artur and you others,

I am one who says that silence is "one thing to do" and could therefore be "one less thing to do". In fact, silence is a powerful thing to do. It can be liberating or intimidating and probably have endless variations of impact...

In one event I facilitated there was a situation of silence. Not very long. The silence was interrupted by a participant turning to me with the suggestion I do something to energize the group (I assume with the assumption that there was low energy). As is my practice, I started to count to myself. By the time I had reached 6, another participant responded by saying: "We just created space for being non-energetic, lets enjoy it."
A few seconds later the group continued with their business.

Feedback is a tricky art. When it is not given close to the moment it refers to (such as in an email after the event) it can not be used to impact on the situation it refers to, so its pretty useless and more of an abstract idea that leads to all the assumptions, aggressions, disappointments, etc. touched on in this string.

Its also curious how much weight this single "feedback" gets against the backdrop of a satisfactory and productive over all result.

In the early days of my os-facilitation-work we would collect data on such things as:
--- time passed until the first issue was posted after the call for issues
--- time passed between all the further issues
--- gender (just mark whether it was a gentleman or a lady offering an issue)

One thing we found is that the time passed until the first isssue was posted was perceived as very much longer by the facilitator than the measured time.

Another thing we found (attention: cultural context... here Germany) was that men posted issues more quickly than women and that the number of issues posted by women increased proportionately over time.

Reflecting on this data, we developed a structural intervention: When folks walked up to the bulletin board, we replaced the markers (usually black) with red markers having announced beforehand that we would do this so that further issues posted during the event would "stick" out as "new" issues on the bulletin board. We found that the proportion of new issues posted by women was larger than in the initial issue-posting session, often there were more than those offered by men.

I myself had the impression that this structural change did create more time and relaxation... there seemed more security in having enough time to come up with ones issues.

Greetings from Berlin where I am looking forward to the WOSonOS in Krakow in September to discuss more of this stuff face to face... here is more detail
http://www.wosonos.com/

mmp