I have used Osmand on motorcycle tours for the last three years. I bought a
rugged phone with a 10.000 mAh battery that lasts all day, connected it to
my Scala Rider intercom, and that's it. I have been ridign in tropical
conditions in South East Asia, in Northern Europe in sun, rain and also
snow. Works fine. In a very few situations the screen is not easy to read,
but then I rely on the voice command coming through the intercom system. I
have no SIM-card in the phone, it's used only for navigation.
Why do you need modifictions and Raspberry Pi?