The problem I found was that the Windows decoder in the server
/dev/ossec/etc/decoder.xml does not extract the "srcip", so you have nothing to
work with to block

Now this is what I replaced mine with:

<decoder name="windows">
  <type>windows</type>
  <prematch>^WinEvtLog: </prematch>
  <regex offset="after_prematch">^\.+: (\w+)\((\d+)\): (\.+): </regex>
  <regex>(\.+): \.+: (\S+):</regex>
  <regex> \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: </regex>
  <regex>\.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+: \.+:</regex>
  <regex>\.(\S+)</regex>
  <order>status, id, extra_data, user, system_name, srcip</order>
  <fts>name, location, user, system_name</fts>
</decoder>

Then, in /dev/ossec/rules/msauth.xml, I replaced rule 18152 with:

  <rule id="181521" level="10" frequency="$MS_FREQ" timeframe="240">
    <if_matched_group>win_authentication_failed</if_matched_group>
    <same_source_ip />
    <description>Multiple Windows Logon Failures Same IP.</description>
    <group>authentication_failures,</group>
  </rule>
  <rule id="181522" level="10" frequency="$MS_FREQ" timeframe="240">
    <if_matched_group>win_authentication_failed</if_matched_group>
    <description>Multiple Windows Logon Failures.</description>
    <group>authentication_failures,</group>
  </rule>

I also dropped $MS_FREQ (start of msauth.xml) to 3

This works for me, and my Windows clients are well protected.

I am sure someone could write a far more eloquent decode Regex - sorry I'm just
coming to grips with that. I'm also uncertain if this will work against
anything other than Server 2003 for which it is written

But this is only the decoder that needs some tuning, the rest seems fine

Regards

Andy