On 4/7/07, Becky Heath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Michael
> There isn't any educational requirements to become an OTA in England,
> although I believe it is different for Scotland.

[Michael]
Hi Becky:  Thank you for your response.

However during the period when I was working at the hospital, the assistants
who wanted a chance to become technicians could do competencies -

[Michael]
This is indeed interesting.  So a technician is 'ranked' higher than an
assistant?

I know it is very different for the States and Canada?

[Michael]
Well, yes and no.  In the States, it is a two year accredited associate
degree program for OTAs.  They have to take a national exam to become a COTA
- Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant - and they are regulated in most
cases by state licensure.  In Canada, there are two year diploma programs
(many if not most are combined OTA & PTA), but the programs are not
accredited as yet and there is no national exams.  Hence no regulation
either.

Michael W. K. Chan
Global Village.
Somewhere out there.
Third rock from the sun.

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn