Ron, I find myself in a very similar situation currently with a gentleman who
is s/p humeral fracture.  He went to an urgent care clinic wear they x-rayed
him, gave him a sling and told him to wear  it for 4 weeks, then wrote an order
for OT.  I am seeing him under Medicare part B in his ALF facility. He is
reporting minimal pain, and even though it is his right (dominant arm), he
totally figured out how to compensate and was very functional during his
recuperation when he had limitation on weightlifting, etc.  I debated back and
forth what to do--turf to PT or attempt to do what I hate to do (straight
exercises for the entire visit).  Logistics prevailed and it was easier early
on for me to come to the man than for him to get to a PT, so I proceeded,
setting  him up on graded range of motion programs. I have   progressed him now
to the point where we are using occupation based interventions during our
sessions. But I will confess that I felt a
 bit like a "fraud" during the early weeks when I was doing straight exercise
with him, because I wanted him to have the benefit of a skilled PT versus me, a
generalist  who is not a fan of exercise as a main modality for OT. In fact,
now his main complaint is continued decreased ROM. It has gotten better, and he
is quite functional, but he wants 100% return.  I am going to refer him to PT
and D/C him as I think I have maxed out what I can offer. Had this man been
status post surery, or a rotator cuff repair, I woud have turfed him
immediatley to the PT's.

 I have enjoyed  great realtionships with the PT's I've worked with over the
years and I think its becasue I let them do what they are experts at, and I do
that at which I am an expert (facilitating engagement in occupation). In fact,
more than once I have been thanked for acknowledging my limitations,
especially  in the ortho category--I am very aware of the potential for trouble
because I saw first hand  a bad outcome due to negligence on the part of the OT
. The OT  thought she knew what she was doing in regard to shoulder rehab and
repeatedly put a client with a rotator cuff injury on the arm bike and
re-injured the man. Needless to say, that did not help our pofessional
credibilty one bit.

Terrianne