I think there are too many specialty areas within our vast field to
make a blanket statement about what "we" do. No one graduates from OT
school with knowledge in every area of the field. It is rare that
anyone can actually be competent in every area of the field (in my
opinion).

Think about work hardening/vocational training. Often that is very
biomechanically oriented. Does that mean that OT shouldn't do it?

I think what is becoming more and more clear is that AOTA needs to
state that OTs who have just graduated from school have a foundation
in the many areas of the profession. The areas should then be listed
and explained. For areas that require in-depth knowledge to do well,
we need to explore advanced certification or something along those
lines.

I think if we can come up with a way to define all the areas that OT
can and does cover, we will gain more respect professionally and in
the general population.
MA

Mary Alice Cafiero
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
972-757-3733
Fax 888-708-8683

This message, including any attachments, may include confidential,
privileged and/or inside information. Any distribution or use of this
communication by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the recipient
of this message, please notify the sender and permanently delete the
message from your system.