----- Original Message -----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008
To:   OTlist@OTnow.com <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Subj: [OTlist] Elbow Break, Referral...

cac> I don't thing the separation is artificial at all.? Just look at what we
cac> learned in school during our orthopedic classes.? Not saying it is right,
it is
cac> just the experience of the professors at my class?and in the profession
from what
cac> I can tell.

cac> -----Original Message-----
cac> From: Ron Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cac> To: LRappap765 <OTlist@OTnow.com>
cac> Sent: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 6:23 pm
cac> Subject: Re: [OTlist] Elbow Break, Referral...

cac> To  follow  the below logic, doesn't a patient need to increase ROM to
cac> sit on the toilet? Doesn't the patient need to reduce pain to get into
cac> the shower?

cac> My  point  is that there is this artificially created separation where
cac> OT expertise is ONLY above the waist. I think we either need to expand
cac> our  musculoskeltal  expertise  to  include  the  whole body, or stop
cac> focusing on the UE.

cac> And  it is up to the patient to understand what we are doing. For one,
cac> it allows the patient to be part of the process, not a bystander.

cac> Regarding  need  to  increase elbow function to "hook a bra" or "reach
cac> for  a  kettle",  I don't know that the patient wears a bra or reaches
cac> for  a kettle. I understand that you don't mean these specific things,
cac> but  in  a patient-centered approach to OT, when possible, the patient
cac> drives the goal-making process, not the therapist.

cac> IF  this  patient  said, you know I really want put on my bra but this
cac> dang  elbow  just  won't  let  me, then I'd say 100% OT is the correct
cac> profession.  But  if I say, "I'm going to increase your elbow function
cac> so you can put on your bra", isn't that PT?

cac> If I had an elbow fracture, and I did about 7 years ago, the VERY LAST
cac> thing  on  my  mind was fastening my bra (joke). Really though, it was
cac> hard for me to zip my pants but that wasn't my concern. My concern was
cac> the  pain  and  the  loss of ROM. If I went to a therapist and he said
cac> what's your goals, I would say; 1. decrease my pain and 2. increase my
cac> ROM.  If  they  came out with questions about dressing I'd say, "yeah,
cac> you  meet  the  above  goals and I'll be able to dress myself"

cac> Making  occupational  goals  when  patients  are  not  concerned about
cac> occupation makes very little sense. What does make sense is fixing the
cac> problem  causing the occupational issues. And I believe that if that's
cac> the  case,  and  that's  the  focus and it's musculoskeltal issue, it
cac> should go to the PT.

cac> And,  do  you  know  of  situations  where is the ONLY provider when a
cac> patient has a recent hip fracture or hip replacement? Or, wha
cac> t about a
cac> TKR,  I've never seen OT being the only therapist. So, why is OT often
cac> the  only  provider  when  an  UE is injured? These are all situations
cac> where  a  musculoskeltal  issue  impacts  occupation, so why isn't OT
cac> involved in the remediation of these issues?

cac> Gosh, I hate long messages..........................

cac> Ron
cac> --
cac> Ron Carson MHS, OT

cac> ----- Original Message -----
cac> From: LRappap765 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cac> Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008
cac> To:   OTlist@OTnow.com <OTlist@OTnow.com>
cac> Subj: [OTlist] Elbow Break, Referral...

L>> Hi,

L>> I don't think it's so unusual for a patient to focus on
L>> eliminating pain.  I don't think it means they are not interested
L>> in occupations.  Aren't we doing both things?  Doesn't she need to
L>> increase active elbow extension to hook her bra on, or
L>> reach for the kettle to make tea.  Just because she doesn't
L>> articulate these things doesn't mean that'
L>> s not the goal, does it?  Isn't it really up to the OT to see the
L>> link and make the connection and Maybe impart an understanding to
L>> the patient.  It's really up to us to understand what we do and
L>> why, not the patient.  Also,   Using a cane safely also seems like
L>> it falls in our domain.  Just my 2 cents...

L>> Linda Rappaport, MS, OTR/L

L>> In a message dated 08/30/08 15:49:07 Eastern Daylight Time,
cac> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
L>> Received  a  new referral for a elbow fracture. I shouldn't have taken
L>> it but I did.

L>> And  here  is  the  dilemma  facing our profession. The patient is 95,
L>> previously living independently. Fractured elbow in a fall. Now living
L>> with  daughter.  She  is  in a large amount of pain. Obviously, she is
L>> dependent  for  most of her occupations. She currently uses a cane but
L>> is not safe.

L>> The  patient's  immediate concerns are her elbow. When pressed, she of
L>> course wants to go back home, but that is not an immediate goal.

L>> So what do I write for goals? For example should I write:

L>>        Patient will self-report pain as 3 out of 10

L>>        Patient's will
cac> increase active elbow extension to -20 degrees

L>> These  goals seem to direct the patients and doctor's concerns but are
L>> not occupationally oriented. So, should I write:

L>>        Patient will safely and independently dress lower body

L>>        Patient  will safely and independently ambulate to the bathroom
L>>        using the least restrictive mobility aid

L>> I like these goals but they don't address the immediate concerns.

L>> Ron
L>> --
L>> Ron Carson MHS, OT

L>> --