Ron...did i understand you to say you don't take ROM measurements...why
not????  I do take measurements or approximate on every patient with Upper
extremity impairment affecting their function????  Lisa

----- Original Message ----
From: Ron Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kari Rogozinski <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:54:38 PM
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Elbow Break, Referral...

Call  me  think-headed,  but  I  don't  see  how  those  goals are any
different  than  PT.  When I read the goals I see the primary focus on
decreasing  pain and increasing ROM and the "functional" stuff is just
thrown in. And that's primarily what PT does.

OT  knows  there's  a  lot  more  to  dressing  than  just  physical
dysfunction..  There's  the  environment, cognition, motivation, family
issues,  etc.  With your goals, what happens if ROM is increase so
the  patient  SHOULD be able to dress but they still can't because the
family  doesn't  feel  they  are  safe?  According  to your goals, the
patient is d/c. Either that or you'll need some new goals!

I  will  also  suggest  that goals should not be written unless it has
been  assessed.  In  other  words,  I don't write ROM goals, because I
don't  take ROM measurements. I do assess occupation and those are the
goals that I write.

Again,  what the therapists assess should be the goals. And conversely,
if  it's not assessed then it shouldn't be a goal. Also, goals must be
measurable  and  progress  must  be  made. How can a therapist measure
progress  towards  a  goal  that  is not initially measured? And, what
measure  is  going  to  be  used?  I will say the "increase functional
performance with bilateral UE tasks" is not exactly a measurable goal?

Now,  if  you  assessed that the patient required mod assist to donn
her  bra  and the goal was "Pt will independently donn/doff bra", then
that's  an  OT  assessment  and goal. However, can you see this ladies
face  when  I ask her about how much assistance she need to put on her
bra,  or  pull up her underwear? She's going to think I'm nuts because
she  wants  me  to  fix  her  arm, not worry about teaching her to get
dressed!

Gosh, I hate long messages.....

<Sorry for typos/graphos>

Ron Carson MHS, OT