From: Ron Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: L Sloan <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Sent: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 6:09 am
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Elbow Break, Referral...

If  the  goal  is  increased  ROM  or  decreased pain, why include the
"functional"  component?  It  seems obvious to me that if ROM/pain are
the  ONLY  things  preventing  the  patient from doing self-care, then
positively  impacting  these area will directly improve self-care. So,
why even include the the "function".

If  the  goal  is  occupation,  then  I see no reason for the ROM/pain
component. As and OT, I strongly believe that occupation should be the
goal,  but occupation is not always the goal of the patient or MD. And
it's  these situations where OT is out on a limb, because we are truly
practicing OT, but PT.

Ron Carson MHS, OT