Hello Terrianne:

I  graduate  in  1997. I have no recollection of the word "occupation"
being used.

When  I  started  teaching  in  2000, the first course I developed and
taught was "Human Occupation". Students were introduced to different
concepts  of  human  occupation, not from a treatment perspective but
from a theoretical perspective. Some student's remained clueless about
occupation and OT, but most said understanding human occupation helped
them better understand OT.

When  AOTA's  practice  framework  was 1st published in 2002, I think,
occupation  was one of the main focuses. And with that document, OT's,
suddenly became experts in human occupation. Personally, I don't think
it's  possible  to  be  an  expert  in  something without having spent
considerable time studying and applying theory and concepts of what is
claimed as expertise.

Also,  I  do NOT believe that OT must use occupation as a means, but I
do think when improved occupational performance is the desire outcome,
occupation as a means is the natural treatment choice.

Ron Carson MHS, OT