Hi Martin and others,

The more I work with Siebel, and the more I think I will need OTRS to
replace it in the near future... Instead of having two different numbering
modules, I would propose the following:

Attached to this e-mail, you will find a list of the current Siebel tickets
in our system. They all start with a '1', and then there is a '-', and then
5 characters which increase from 1 to 9 and then from A to Z.

I would create a new numbering scheme: 'x-xxxxx', where 'x' can be any of
0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

I would patch Postmaster.pl, so that an incoming e-mail with a subject that
EXACTLY matches 'New SR: 1-A7ZB2' would create a new ticket with the number
'1-A7ZB2', instead of a new ticket with the next available number in the
numbering scheme.

Then if an incoming e-mail DOESN'T match this string, or if we open a ticket
by a phone call, then I would just make the first character of the ticket
number a LETTER instead of a NUMBER. ie 'A-1G4X3'.

This way, we know that if the ticket starts with a LETTER, then it's an
internal OTRS ticket, and if it starts with a NUMBER, then it's a ticket
matching a Siebel ticket.

Do you understant where I would like to go ? Do you see this as easier than
having TWO numering schemes ? Do you know someone who has nothing else to do
than writing such a numering module ;-) ?

I am sorry for this request which might be a bit strange, but just imagine
that we are at the moment handling about 20 tickets per day, most of them
containing firewall information (routing tables, policy screenshots...) with
a CRM system which costs millions of $$$, which has a limitation of 800
characters for an action entry on a ticket, and which doesn't support file
attachement (at the moment).

Thx again for your incredible support... BR, - Patrick -

1-408A9
1-43HES
1-43OQ2
1-4IAZ9