I thank you for the insight, and in my limited view, I'm thinking of "Services"
to handle the segregation as -- I'd hope -- only the assigned services would be
available to the customer, meanwhile the queue would be the type of thing your
agents would generically provide. The Service is unique to a customer, and does
everything else mentioned here, without need for ACL.

At least, that's what I understand. Every plan is different, to be sure, but
thinking in terms of what you present here, it seems reasonable that the only
change you'd need to do to add a new customer would be to add a specific
service and attach it to the customer.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work very well if you are offering multiple
services to each customer. If I read ITIL correctly, services vs customers is
potentially a many-to-many relationship, eg services are predefined "things you
offer" to zero or more consumers (note that in a highly-composed
service-oriented architecture, the "customer" could be another service as well
as a company), and there may be zero or more consumers that have access to a
service. This gets particularly nasty if you involve a CMDB of managed objects
that provide certain services to customers - you need to track the consumer to
service mapping to calculate who is affected by a service failure, and multiple
consumers get mapped to a single service.

Now those pesky checkboxes are the thing to bite you in the rear... (No, I'm
not making fun, I'm serious. It's not extremely obvious that you haven't
assigned a service to the competitor).

Yup. And that is exactly what bites you in the ass without ACLs that permit
independent auditing. Having customer A see only one queue (or a small set of
queues) and having agents scan the customer-dedicated queues for specific
services (easy to do with a predefined query) they're trained for (or you can
also pull those skills from a CMDB entry for a "Person"). It'd be a very nice
option to have OTRS support such a multidimensional security model out of the
box, but that's a lot of work for them for a fairly small community of users.